- Types of Information We Collect
- How We Collect Information
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Respond to "Do Not Track" Signals
- Communications with You
- Information Sharing with Third Parties
- Protection of Personally Identifiable Information
- Updating Your Information
- Notice of Privacy Rights of California Residents
2. Types of Information Collected
We may collect personally identifiable information from you such as non-public information about you that helps CMP identify you. This information may include, without limitation, first and last name, birth date, business title, employer, email address, employer or personal address, telephone number, password, gender, account username, words and images included in communications you send or post through the Sites, information that you contact CMP about, information you provide to us when you register for an account on the Sites or contact CMP (e.g., transaction history, and contact information such as your email or mailing address and telephone number), and other information that you provide to us or that is generated through your use of the Sites or interactions with CMP that are not otherwise publicly available.
Certain information you post or provide through parts of the Sites that are available to others, such as your name, profile, comments, and sample letters or other communications for transmission to politicians or other third parties, may be shared with other users and posted on publicly available portions of the Sites. Please keep in mind that if you choose to disclose personally identifiable information when posting information or content through the Sites, this information may become publicly available and may be collected and used by others, including people outside the CMP community. CMP will not have any obligations with respect to any information that you post through parts of the Sites that are available to others. You can protect your personally identifiable information by not including identifying information in your postings.
We also may collect non-personally identifiable information about you, such as information regarding your use of the Sites, your IP address, usage statistics regarding the Sites, time stamps, browsing history, general geographic location, type of device you use to connect to the Sites, type of operating system you use (e.g., Microsoft Windows, Google Chrome OS, Mac OS, Android or iOS), the type of browser you use (e.g., Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari), the domain name of your internet service provider, and information regarding your Internet location when you see CMP's ads and whether you click on such ads. We also may receive certain aggregated or anonymous information regarding users of the Sites such as the age, gender, occupation, zip code, interests, political and other affiliations and preferences of users of the Sites, as well as information collected through questionnaires and surveys. In the event that such information is maintained in a manner that identifies the name of, or contact information for, the individual to whom such information relates, it will be treated as personally identifiable information; otherwise, such information will treated as non-personally identifiable information. "Non-personally identifiable information" refers to information that does not personally identify the individual to whom the information relates, such as information that is aggregated by CMP or a third party, or information that is not linked to contact information or other personally identifiable information of an individual.
If you are logged into an CMP account, information such as the content you access, view, click on, download or search for when on the Sites, the devices from which you access such content and the length of time for which you view same, may become personally identifiable. In such an event, CMP will treat such information as personally identifiable information.
3. How We Collect Information
We may collect personally identifiable and/or non-personally identifiable information about you when you:
• Access, use or browse the Sites;
• Submit, post, or transmit any content through the Sites;
• Register for an CMP account on the Sites, modify your account information or create or modify your account profile;
• Sign up to receive announcements, emails or newsletters;
• Contact, communicate with or otherwise interact with CMP or its personnel via email, the Sites, fax, telephone, or by other means whether online or offline;
• Contact, communicate with, or otherwise interact with other users of the Sites;
• Request literature, templates, sample communications, materials, services or other information during your visit to the Sites, via email, fax or other online or offline means;
• Apply for a job at CMP;
• Register, enroll or particpate in any surveys, questionnaires, promotions, or any other services, events or activities online or offline sponsored by CMP or third parties, or offered in connection with the Sites or CMP’s activities or services ("Activities").
By using the Sites, or by submitting your personally identifiable information to CMP online or offline, you expressly consent to the storage and processing of your personally identifiable information in the United States or other jurisdictions, in accordance with applicable laws in those jurisdictions.
We may obtain personally identifiable and/or non-personally identifiable information from third parties such as the owners or operators of the websites or applications where our advertisements appear (some of which may partner with CMP or with an advertisement network used by CMP), our service providers, affiliates, vendors, Activities partners and sponsors, other users of the Sites, and other sources (e.g., offline records or publicly available information). Non-personally identifiable information also may be obtained by these other sources from inferences based upon the sites you visit; third party data; information you share on other sites, social media platforms and applications; or demographics derived from profiles or accounts that you create. We may combine personally identifiable information we collect with information that we obtain from these sources. We will treat any such combined information as personally identifiable information.
CMP automatically receives and records non-personally identifiable information on our server logs from your browser as well as through other analysis of the Sites. We also may collect information using cookies, web beacons, pixels, gifs, tags or similar technologies ("Collection Technology"), or through third parties using similar technologies. Collection Technology may operate as a piece of data stored on your browser or device, or may identify, compile, aggregate and/or collect information through other means. When you visit the Sites, your web browser may use Collection Technology to better enable you to navigate the Sites during your visit and upon your return. You may use the Sites even if you choose to reject or delete certain Collection Technology. Collection Technology also may be used by some of the other websites for which a link is placed on the Sites. We may combine this non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information, and, if so, will treat the combined information as personally identifiable information.
• "Demographics and Interest Reporting" to analyze information regarding the interests and demographics of users of the Site. We use such non-personally identifiable information in the same manner as we use other non-personally identifiable information as described below.
• "Remarketing with Google Analytics" to place ads on other sites directed to people who have accessed the Sites.
• "Google Display Network Impression Reporting" to report how people's interactions with our ads relate to their visits to the Sites.
• Integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data via advertising cookies and identifiers.
4. How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect:
• To monitor and analyze information regarding your browsing and viewing preferences and to diagnose problems with the Sites;
• To analyze our users' demographics, interests, communication and posting activity;
• To manage the collection or creation of communications directed to politicians or other third parties as requested by users of the Sites;
• To relay information, messages and communications sent between you and politicians and other third parties;
• To identify the person who submitted posted content (which may include name or any part thereof, city/town/village of residency, and other information from the person's profile);
• To plan, improve and administer Activities;
• To process and respond to your inquiries, requests and other communications;
• For administration, support and improvement of the Sites;
• To alert you to new features, terms, Activities, content, special events, products or services, and other useful information via email or other means;
• To promote and improve the services, content and information we offer;
• To send announcements and newsletters, and to provide you with personalized content in connection with same;
• To promote, develop, deliver, and improve our services, content, and advertising;
• For the purposes for which you provided the information;
• For fraud prevention, internal operations, legal compliance, and other public purposes; and
In addition to the uses discussed above, CMP may use non-personally identifiable information in any manner so long as CMP uses such information in its de-identified or aggregated form. These uses may include, without limitation, analysis of website trends and how the Sites are used; improving performance of the Sites and diagnosis of problems; developing advertising campaigns; and providing you with special offers and promotions and determining the effectiveness of same.
CMP also may use your non-personally identifiable information to present you with targeted content and advertisements (including on third party websites and applications). Such targeted content and advertisements may include marketing for the Sites, products or services of CMP or its business and advertising partners, and for Activities. Your non-personally identifiable information also may be used to optimize and determine the effectiveness of content and advertisements, and to analyze interactions with content and advertisements.
Some of CMP’s third party partners may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising or the Network Advertising Initiative Consumer Opt-Out, which allow consumers to opt-out of targeted advertising based on web activity tracking. For more information regarding the foregoing, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices/ and www.networkadvertising.org/choices/#completed. Please note that even if CMP’s third party partners participate in these programs, if you opt out of targeted advertising based on web activity tracking, you still may receive standard advertisements from us and targeted advertisements from third parties. You may need to re-click the links and follow the instructions provided again if you delete cookies or other Collection Technology or use a different computer, device or browser.
5. How We Respond To "Do Not Track" Signals
CMP does not alter the practices detailed herein based upon your selection of the "Do Not Track" setting or other "opt out" setting or feature that may be offered by your browser; however, CMP reserves the right to do so in the future.
6. Communications with You
You authorize CMP to transmit email to you, to respond to your communications, promote our services and administer and provide information to you about Activities. If we send any emails to promote our services, unsubscribe instructions will be included in each such promotional email from CMP. Please note that unsubscribe requests may take up to ten (10) business days to become effective. You may not opt out of receiving communications regarding your dealings with CMP, the Sites or technical information about the Sites.
7. Information Sharing with Third Parties
We may use and share non-personally identifiable information with other third parties. Additionally, we may take personally identifiable information and de-identify it and share it in a de-identified or aggregated form with advertisers, business partners, and/or other third parties in order to analyze the Sites' usage, demographics, or interests, improve the Sites or CMP’s products or services, perform services on the Sites, improve the user experience, or for similar purposes. We will not re-identify such data and we will ask our contracting parties to agree to keep the data in its de-identified form.
The Site also may contain plugins for social media websites, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. We recommend reviewing the privacy policies that apply to these plugins, prior to clicking on such plugins.
The Sites are not directed toward children under 18 years of age nor does CMP knowingly collect information from users under the age of 18 on the Sites. If you are under 18, you are not permitted to register for emails or newsletters on the Sites or to otherwise submit any personally identifiable information to CMP online. If you provide information to CMP through the Sites, you represent that you are 18 years of age or older.
9. Protection of Personal Information
CMP uses reasonable administrative, physical and electronic security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personally identifiable information. No transmission of data over the internet is guaranteed to be completely secure. It may be possible for third parties not under the control of CMP to intercept or access transmissions or private communications unlawfully. While we strive to protect personally identifiable information, neither CMP nor our service providers can ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us over the internet. Any such transmission is at your own risk.
10. Updating Your Information
You are responsible for keeping your information current. You may update your information by contacting us at email@example.com. We will use reasonable efforts to process any change you make; provided, however, that requests to delete information are subject to CMP’s internal reporting, processing and retention policies and all applicable legal obligations.
11. OPT-OUT POLICY
CMP has adopted a policy of not sharing your personally identifiable information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes if you request that we do not do so ("Opt-Out Policy"). You may make such a request by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. When contacting us, please indicate your name, address, email address, and what personally identifiable information you do not want us to share with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Please note that there is no charge for controlling the sharing of your personally identifiable information or for processing this request.
12. Notice of Privacy Rights of California Residents
California residents who have provided "personal information" to a business that does not have an Opt-Out Policy may be entitled by law to request certain information regarding disclosures of personally identifiable information by the business to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year ("Disclosure Request"). However, please note that due to CMP’s Opt-Out Policy in Section 11, CMP is entitled by law to respond to your Disclosure Request by notifying you of your right to prevent the disclosure of personal information pursuant to our Opt-Out Policy (which is cost free to you). If you are still interested in making a Disclosure Request, send an email to email@example.com, specifying that you seek your "California Customer Choice Privacy Notice."
[If you are a California resident and have provided "personal information" to CMP, you may be entitled by law to request certain information regarding disclosures of personally-identifiable information that may have been made by CMP to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year ("Disclosure Request"). To make such a Disclosure Request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the Disclosure Request, specify that you seek your "California Customer Choice Privacy Notice." Please allow thirty (30) days for a response. CMP is not required to respond to more than one Disclosure Request per customer each year, or to respond to requests made by means other than through the contact information designated above for such purposes.]